That’s great in theory.
Here’s what happened to me:
1) The little groove in the front of the cam sprocket is not an accurate descriptor of where TDC lies. When I used the PK32V’r tool on my DS (driver’s side) sprocket, I was very surprised to find out that at “TDC” (according to my cam sprocket) the cam timing was so far advanced that it was outside the range of PK32V’r tool. In other words, I was one tooth off.
2) Using the PKBumpStick and PK32V’r, I was able to retard both the PS and DS cam sprockets. This involves setting the crank to 20 degrees BTDC, then rotating the crank until the needle in the arm of the PK32V’r resides in the deepest part of the groove. Then, you loosen the three allen bolts on the clamp rings while simultaneously holding the wrench (included with the BumpStick) in place (this is harder than it sounds.) Then, rotate the crank to TDC and tighten the allen bolts.
3) The procedure worked just fine- kind of. I had to do each side several times. The really crappy thing is turning the crank. It takes a great deal of effort to turn that crank two revolutions (720 degrees), especially because I did not remove the spark plugs.
The problem I had is that after turning the crank, the measurement on the PK32V’r would be slightly different each time. It is frustrating.
At this point, I started buttoning things up.
– The passenger side rotor and timing belt cover went on just fine. Five minutes- easy.
– The driver’s side rotor would not go on. The bolts could not thread onto the three-pronged hub. How could this be? I just had three allen bolts threaded into the three-pronged hub when I used the PK32V’r tool, unless… UNLESS THE SPROCKET SLIPPED WHEN I REMOVED THE PK32V’r TOOL. Five minutes turned into > 1 hour, re-timing the driver’s side cam sprocket.
– I had to change the power steering hoses. I pulled off too many bolts, and the alternator was disconnected as well. Cleaning the power steering pump with a brush took an hour. Then, I decided to clean the ATF fluid that spilled from the banjo bolt when I disconnected it. (I had a catch pan ready but the ATF fluid traveled down my wrench.)
– I had to reinstall the alternator. There is a long M10 bolt that threads through the alternator in two places, and through the power steering pump “cassette.” I was warned that removing the alternator was very unpleasant- luckily I experienced it first hand. I finally got it on by lying down on my back and using my knees (the alternator is very heavy for someone like me.) Aligning the holes was very enjoyable, indeed. About an hour there.
After many rotations of the crank, I set the tension of the timing belt using the Kempf tool. However, an even more accurate way to measure tension is with pitch, and it just so happens that the 928’s timing belt likes to be tuned to a slightly flat E natural.